Dr Michele R. Prinsep
Senior Lecturer (Organic Chemistry)
Qualifications: BSc (Hons) Canterbury, PhD. Canterbury, Post-doctoral Research Fellow, University of Hawaii (1990-1991). Research leave Cambridge (1994), ZONTA Award (2000).
Papers I Teach
Students I Supervise
Aaron Andersen - Natural Products from New Zealand Bryozoans
Jonathan Puddick - Investigating cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) by MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry with the aim of:
- the discovery of novel and/or bioactive secondary metabolites
- improved quantitation of known microcystins, a wide-spread cyanotoxin
- increased understanding of the regulatory keys for microcystin production
- Natural products chemistry, particularly that of New Zealand marine bryozoans and terrestrial cyanobacteria (blue-green algae).
- Application of spectral methods, especially NMR spectroscopy and MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry to structural determination.
- Biologically active compounds and structure-activity relationships.
- Chemical ecology.
Current projects are all directed towards finding novel and/or bioactive metabolites from New Zealand and Antarctic bryozoans and cyanobacteria.
Marine natural products chemistry; NMR spectroscopy; chemistry of cyanobacteria.
- Puddick, J., Prinsep, M., Wood, S., Cary, S., Hamilton, D., Holland, P. (2015) Further characterization of glycine-containing microcystins from the McMurdo Dry Valleys of Antarctica
Refereed journal article - Toxins
- Webb, N., Battershill, C., Prinsep, M. (2014) Chemical ecology and bioactivity of New Zealand marine sponge, Cliona celata
Conference - Abstract - New Zealand Marine Sciences Society Annual Conference
- Wang, A., Martinus, R., Prinsep, M. (2014) Elucidating the mechanism of cytotoxicity of pterocellin A using HeLa cells
Conference - Abstract - Queenstown Molecular Biology - Cancer Biology and Drug Discovery Satellite Meeting
- McCormack, S., Battershill, C., Prinsep, M., Ross, P. (2014) The chemotaxonomy of marine sub-tidal Invertebrates
Oral presentation - N.Z. Marine Conference, Nelson
Find more research publications by Michele Prinsep
Contact DetailsEmail: email@example.com
Phone: +64 7 838 4466 ext 8902